Scotland is a haven for American tourists seeking culture-rich destinations with the ability to get off the grid. Part of its charm lies in the valleys, where the landscape is green, the rivers teem with aquatic species and the air is particularly fresh. Think Alaska without the bears or Hokkaido without the language barrier, and factor in the ease of travel accessibility. American visitors simply travel to Edinburgh directly from JFK or ORD, and within an hour a driver will take them to Hotel Cromlix land, nestled in the heart of the scenic Scottish countryside. 34 acres of secluded woodland and perfect gardens to be exact. Here is a luxury hotel with only 15 rooms plus a Gateside Lodge. Owned by Scottish tennis champion, Andy Murray (winner of the US Open, Olympics and Wimbledon) and his family, and recently refurbished, Cromlix promises to reshape the way we think about country hotels. Premium Life Magazine put away our digital devices and check in to connect with nature and immerse yourself in the ultimate country getaway.
Rooms and suites full of character
When it comes to modern makeovers, many historic residences lose their charm. This is not the case for Cromlix. Each of its ten rooms, five suites, and one Gate Lodge room has an individual design and distinct character (they even have flower names). They are all equipped with antique furniture, including beautifully preserved chests of drawers and cabinets designed for quality. The house’s heritage is important to Cromlix, as a grand Victorian family home and now as a lush country hotel, with understated elegance. Guests will notice a bohemian, eclectic atmosphere that evokes a cozy feeling of staying with a friend or family member. The modern services that make everyday life easier remind us that this is indeed a hotel, where you should not hesitate to make any request. USB charging, Mitchell & Brown smart TVs, Nespresso machines and delicious MODM toiletries keep Cromlix in line with today’s five-star hotel offerings, while thoughtful touches such as shortbread cookies from the grand- Andy’s mother (paired beautifully with an Earl Gray from the beverage drawer) and the peacock-emblazoned cushions exude the warmth of the heavenly blend. Velvet textures, intricate patterns, freshly picked flowers and a gleaming zinc marble tub mean every corner is simply delightful and Peter Reed 400 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Bed Linen is a chance to wrap you up all night long .
Cromlix’s The Glasshouse restaurant is located on the ground floor, in a stunning glass-walled botanical conservatory overlooking the gardens. The chefs work in an open kitchen to prepare breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner seven days a week. Here you have the chance to experience the flavors of The landscape of Scotland thanks to carefully prepared local ingredients. The breakfast selection ranges from full Scottish to egg king salmon, but it’s the whiskey, cream and demerara sugar brulee porridge that will really start the day, a surprisingly nourishing and energizing concoction. Meanwhile, sample dinner menus include Scottish Smoked Salmon, Perthshire Roast Rack of Lamb (for two) and Rich Cracker Choux (dark chocolate cream, white chocolate namelaka and coffee ice cream) for dessert. Enjoy a nightcap in the chic adjoining bar where you’ll find an extensive wine list or a list of Scotch whiskies.
Rooms for reading, reconnection and reflection
Wander beyond the stairway and you’ll enter an enchanting corner that makes any digital detox in the countryside easier. For playtime on a rainy day, the pool room offers a light-hearted place to relax with a collection of penny candies to refuel within its emerald floral walls. It’s never busy, so pop in for a read or just admire the mix of playful props and deer trophies on display. Near reception, a fireplace serves as a nook to peruse one of the property’s art and design periodicals, and if you’re lucky, reception might even serve you a welcome drink. Rosé Prosecco. Meanwhile, the Garden Room and Office offer stylish, thoughtful respites from the bustling restaurant, but the ultimate in serenity is found in the chapel behind reception. Dating back to 1874, the beautifully restored structure is now a popular venue for Scottish weddings, although apart from festive occasions it is a joy for the senses. Sit quietly and admire the stained glass windows, fable side drums mounted on the walls and the imposing original church organ. You will lose all track of time.
An outdoor playground at your disposal
With 34 acres of land, there’s no shortage of outdoor adventures. Cromlix offers tennis courts, a host of gardens to wander around (Barbour Wellington boots provided for guests), outdoor garden games, and even archery and falconry. A memorable excursion suitable for the whole family is fishing on the estate’s private loch. Steven Walker and his team will guide you for a day or half-day of fly fishing on the House Loch populated by brown and rainbow trout. Whatever your skill, the team will bring you help and advice to ensure the best chance of success and their enthusiasm is contagious! Catching fish is never guaranteed, but thanks to healthy populations it is highly likely. Relax in the fisherman’s cottage with a cup of tea and reflect with the boys after your time on the loch. Even better, your prize can be taken back to the hotel to be prepared for dinner. Fishing is also available off the estate as Comlix is surrounded by ideal spots to fish for salmon, trout and pike.
(Images courtesy of Cromlix Hotel & James Wong)
7 tips for a mindful digital detox in Scotland
Country getaways call hardwired individuals to disconnect and reconnect, especially to Cromlix which invites discovery. Here’s how to stay tech-free and what to pack.
- Get out into nature: borrow the estate’s Barbour boots and hit the trails. Summers in Scotland are mostly sunny and pink, although it is advisable to pack smartly in case of heavy rain or snow. A Klattermusen jacket is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts where terrain can be unpredictable, with outerwear that is water and wind resistant and insulated for your comfort.
- Write down what comes to mind: Putting your thoughts on paper helps the mind reset and prioritize. Intelligent Change’s Five Minute Diaries use positive psychology in a guided gratitude format, or those traveling with a partner can enjoy quick questions with Let’s Get Closer cards.
- Improve Mood with Happy Memories: Photographs of good times provide an instant jolt of joy, but slipping on a phone can lead to a tech tunnel. Before arriving at Cromlix, print your photo shots on Recently, which creates personal photo magazines directly from your cell on a collection worthy of the name. mohawk paper. Bring them instead and remember.
- Laughing out loud: As tempting as it might be to stream a comedy series on your hotel smart TV, there are other ways to enjoy a happy endorphin-boosting version. Try a book or, if you’re in company, a card game like Cards Against Humanity in the billiard room. Family-friendly versions are available for those with younger guests at the party.
- Start your day with yoga: Set your intentions and start the day benefiting both body and mind. Even a 20-minute yoga session in your bedroom or on the Cromlix grass will do wonders. Sweaty Betty’s Flow Yoga Mat is ideal for travel, weighing only 2 kg and made with a durable and recyclable fabric.
- Treat yourself to an afternoon of grooming: Personal care can go out the window during busy times. So bring your grooming kit and spend a few hours grooming. The experience can be extremely cathartic and has been shown to lower cortisol levels. Remington’s T-Series Hair & Beard Kit has all the tools for men, while facial cleansing brushes and a range of hair kits are available for women. Browse their website for state-of-the-art technology (not the blue screen kind) that’s easy to pack and travel.
- Focus on sports: A guaranteed method of disconnecting from work is to focus on a game. The tennis courts at Cromlix offer ample opportunity to do this, so pack a pair of ECCO’s sportiest trainers versatile enough for hikes and daytime rides around the estate and put them into action. Biom Natural Motion Tech means speed, comfort and high performance are all combined in certain options – so go wild and go fast.